Thursday, April 26, 2007

LEARNING TO TRUST... AGAIN

I like plans. They easily fit into my idea of the future - mainly because I can control them. But what happens when God calls us to something else?

See, I firmly believe that God has a plan for each of our lives (Jer. 29.11). I believe God plan is best. But we have to be willing to surrender to his plan for our lives. This is not easy. It involves risk - great risk. It's dangerous, from our perspective anyways.

Point is... God's plan doesn't change; but God can change our plans. This is where faith begins to become uncomfortable. We have to rely on God, completely, wholly, and with reckless abandon.

This is scary.

I had a great talk with a friend tonight. She told me a story in a way I'd never heard before from 2 Kings 6:4-7.

4 And [Elisha] went with [his servants].
They went to the Jordan and began to cut down trees. 5 As one of them was cutting down a tree, the iron axhead fell into the water. "Oh, my lord," he cried out, "it was borrowed!"

6 The man of God asked, "Where did it fall?" When he showed him the place, Elisha cut a stick and threw it there, and made the iron float. 7 "Lift it out," he said. Then the man reached out his hand and took it.

In this story, God provides the power to Elisha to miraculously make an iron axhead float on the surface of the water. God made iron float on water! This iron axhead was only an iron axhead; God's actions here did not have global ramifications - it was just borrowed and they wanted it back. And because of this, God caused iron to float on water. My friend reminded me tonight that when God is in control, all bets are off. And God can do miracles. Salvation is not the only miracles he works; he also works many we consider insignificant - like making a borrowed iron axhead float on the surface of the water.

I trusted God when I came to Baylor four years ago. I had no idea how I could afford the tuition or anything. But God provided; I still can't tell you how - only that he did. Four years later, he is reminding me to trust him all over again.

And honestly, it's scary.

No comments: