Living in Jerusalem on the Brazos has so many perks. One of which is constantly hearing Wacoans citing the city's many claims to fame. Here are a few:
1) The ALICO Building in downtown Waco was once the tallest building west of the Mississippi.
2) Comedian Steve Martin spent his formative years (0-6) in Waco.
3) President Bush's ranch is about a 15 minute drive from where I am sitting now.
5) Waco is home to such rock stars as the David Crowder*Band and Ted Nugent.
6) Elvis used to party in Waco during his Ft. Hood days.
7) In Waco, people like to play with elephants, and then get on national news when they get hurt because of it.
8) And while most don't care to admit it, the Branch Davidian compound stormed by the ATF agents (lead by gladiator Janet Reno) in April 1993 is Waco best known incident. If you mention you're in Waco, folks never fail to respond, "Isn't that where those nuts from the cult were blown up by the nuts from the government?"
Thus, the mighty city of Waco is well known and envied, though not quite to the extent of L.A. or N.Y. But we are W. So, if you're wild about Waco, come join the fun, and you can hear about Steve Martin's formative years too.
P.S. I've set comments to allow anyone to comment, even though you don't have a blooger ID, so just select ANONYMOUS to submit your comment; just please put your name on the comment so I know who you are.