Thursday, March 02, 2006

Charles H. Talbert Is My Home-Dog!

There is something about learning at the feet of a great scholar. I have had Charles H. Talbert twice in my time at Baylor. And I have to say that I have the greatest respect for Dr. Talbert. I poured over a zillion (and one) of his books last night as I wrote a critical intoduction to the Gospel of Matthew. Not only is this man a leading scholar in New Testament critcism, he also has a great way of preaching what he believes the NT says.

Talbert has great pieces on topics such as Womens' roles in the Church. Ones of his best books (in my opinion) is THE APOCALYPSE (Westminster John Knox Press: 1994). If you ever see a book by this guy BUY IT!!!!!!!!!

In short, C. H. "The Man" Talbert is just a haus! In other words, he's my home-dog!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering what he wrote about women's roles in the church. I'm majoring in worship ministry, and I'm in a ministry class right now. We had to answer the question of why women should be allowed to work in church (and base it on Scripture). I would like to find out as much as I can on the subject since it deals with my future (I'm a Baptist girl going to a Church of Christ university, so I know that I'm going to have to answer that question for the rest of my life. It's really hard to break traditions.) Thanks! Kelli

cruz-control said...

First off, you are awesome for pursuing a career in ministry. Many baptist women (and men) find it hard to break that tradition. First, Talbert begins with scripture and context. Women had very significant roles in the church including serving as deaconess and prophecying (preaching). So, where does the mix up come from? Context. Without knowing the specific situations that the writers were addressing, it's easy to take what they mean completely out of context. These contexts are largely what Talbert addresses. I'll post mosre in a posting about this.

If you want TAlbert's article on this, I would be glad to e-mail it to you; it's no trouble, I already have it as a saved file on my computer. My e-mail is j_cruz@baylor.edu